Hello friends! I am so excited to finally be able to share with you the project I’ve been working on for the last few months…I am opening Made Stitch Company, a sewing studio in Louisville, KY. When you are wearing something you’ve sewn with your own hands, it is such a thrill to be able to say “Thanks, I made it!” My mission is to help as many people as I can experience that confidence.
I WANT TO CREATE A SPACE FOR YOU TO LEARN TO SEW AND BECOME THE MAKER YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE.
When I first started sewing, my main motivation was being able to sew a wardrobe that reflected who I am. I wanted to find local, in-person sewing classes, and have fun with makers my own age. I needed classes to teach me basic skills, help me complete sewing projects, and assist me in sewing. I could find a sewing class here or there, but it was never what I was looking for.
So, me being a practical, that is what I am doing, creating the space for you that I’ve always wanted.
ONE OF THE MOST CHALLENGING ASPECTS OF LEARNING TO SEW TODAY IS THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO DO IT ANYMORE.
And if you can find someone, the hours are limited and scheduling is difficult. That’s why we created a sewing school to take all the work out of finding lessons so that you can focus on the fun part! My entire model is built around making it as easy to get started as possible.
- The studio is centrally located at Mellwood Art Center with plenty of parking.
- My course offerings and enrollments are offered through a convenient and easy to use platform.
- I’ll release my classes by quarter so you’ll always know what’s coming.
- My studio provides all the equipment you need for a project: large cutting tables, sewing machines, pressing stations and many tools that you may not have added to your own sewing supplies.
- For beginners, I don’t want you to be bogged down by figuring out what to buy.
- For experienced stitchers, I’ve built a studio using the equipment and tools that I like to personally use. You will love working in this space.
There are lots of virtual sewing classes available online, and I have taken many throughout the years. But I’ve always found that online classes are not as satisfying as learning in person. Having the opportunity to ask questions and get immediate feedback is so important to the learning process. And online learning cannot provide the social interaction that comes from making something with your hands, surrounded by other makers. When I started sewing I felt very isolated. None of my friends in town were interested in the craft. My best friends would listen as I described a fantastic fabric that I had found or a new technique I had learned, but I couldn’t find anyone in my circle who loved sewing as much as me. I want to help build that community in Louisville and the Kentuckiana area-connecting makers who are passionate about their craft.
SO HOW CAN YOU GET STARTED?
I offer three types of classes: stand alone workshops, semesters that run for several weeks, and sewing parties.
- The workshops are designed to give you a taste of sewing. You will learn how to use a machine AND complete a small project.
- Semesters are designed so that you will complete a hand sewn garment to wear.
- Parties are private events for you to gather your friends and family to have a fun time trying out a craft.
I offer each of these types of classes for Adults (18+), Teens (7th grade-12th grade), and Kids (2nd grade-6th grade). So head over to my Enroll page to find the course that is right for you. You can also sign up for my newsletter so you’ll be the first to learn about new course offerings.
I can't wait to make something with you!